Tuesday, April 7, 2009

An '80's Shakedown

The theme for tonight's show was "The Year You Were Born". These always prove to be interesting, considering that they're always older songs. (Um, side note...seeing so many contestants born AFTER 1981 actually makes me feel kind of old.) Anyhow, this season had some good ones, so check it out:

THE TOP 8

Danny Gokey
1980
"Stand By Me" by Mickey Gilley
It was like some nasty elevator/lounge music version and I disliked it very much. But I did like the last 20 seconds of the song as it got more upbeat. He's got that powerful voice (and sad back story), so he's definitely safe this week, but I hope he picks something better next week. I just didn't like this version at all.

Kris Allen
1985
"All She Wants to Do is Dance" by Don Henley
That was a fun song to listen to, but not fantastic. I'll say this much, Kris is good, but he's not going to win this competition. He'll be safe this week, but as the number is whittled down, he's going to be on the chopping block sooner than later. He has a nice voice and better stage presence than when he first started.

Lil Rounds
1984
"What's Love Got to Do With It" by Tina Turner
This was a second-rate version of the original. And there was nothing original about it. I thought Lil was going to be a powerhouse this season, but she hasn't found her niche yet. She is struggling each week and has yet to turn in a good performance. I just don't think she cut it this week. She's my #1 pick for my Bottom 3.

Anoop Desai
1986
"True Colors" by Cyndi Lauper
I think ballads are Anoop's calling. This song was very smooth and well done. I loved the high note he hit at the end. But it's becoming reminiscent of all his other ballads...he's not very versatile and I think that might hurt him. He's my alternate pick.

Scott MacIntyre
1985
"The Search is Over" by Survivor
First of all, BRAVO Scott for getting out from behind the piano. Yes, you looked awkward standing there with your electric guitar, but nonetheless you tried something new. Now, as for the song you picked...not so good. He sounded okay, but once he hit those high notes, it sounded like he was trying way too hard. I don't think he's going to be around much longer. He's my #2 pick for my Bottom 3.

Allison Iraheta
1992
"I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt
This song always reminds me of Carrie Underwood's first audition. So, it's hard because I keep comparing it. I'm glad Allison picked something not so "rock"-ish and I'm glad she finally showed that she does have a range, if ever so briefly. She definitely made it her own, but I don't think it was that good, especially compared to some of the other performances tonight. She's my #3 pick for my Bottom 3.

Matt Giraud
1985
"Part-Time Lover" by Stevie Wonder
This was a very good song choice for Matt; hopefully, good enough that he doesn't get pulled into the Bottom 3 (although it's getting close to the time when the good ones will fall). This song showed off his range, his run capability and, hey, I was digging the hat! Definitely better than last week. This should keep him out of the Bottom 3 tomorrow night.

Adam Lambert
1982
"Mad World" by Tears for Fears
Adam continues to bring it each week and I think he's getting better and better, if that's even possible. This song is so dark and pensive; with Adam's range, he took this song to another level. I'm still kind of shocked that Simon gave him a standing ovation. It was emotional, intimate and awesome.

BOTTOM 3
Lil Rounds
Scott MacIntyre
Allison Iraheta

ALTERNATE
Anoop Desai

And as an FYI, beginning in the next week or so, we will only be voting for our Bottom 2.

Comments? Agree? Disagree?

3 comments:

  1. I think it is Scott's turn to go home. He will be back on tour--yaaayy! He is an encouragement to everyone and very brave. Also in the bottom I think are Chris and Lil.
    I thought Allison was awesome! No matter what happens, we will hear and see more of her in the future--remember that voice! I liked Danny's song (I love him!) No one can touch Adam each week--league of his own.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like Alison's song was just so eerily appropriate. It's weird that she's not safer in this competition. What does she have to do to make people love her??? If she goes home, I'll be disappointed. She nails it every time.

    I think Scott will go home. But I'm kind of sad he'll do his swan song with a guitar, instead of behind his piano. I didn't think the guitar was THAT out of place, but still... it just always makes me sad when someone goes home for not being him or herself.

    That said, Lil should go home, because we don't even know who Herself is.

    I also agree that Adam is in a class by himself. I find myself looking forward to his performance every week. My husband will definitely make fun of me for saying that, since I couldn't stand him in the beginning.

    (PS, I still can't stand Danny or his voice).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, Kris doesn't even register on my radar. He could go home too. But Anoop should stick around a while longer. We already lost one beloved Indian this week on House. (poor taste? I never can tell...)

    ReplyDelete