Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Grand Ole Time!

Tonight's theme for the Top 11 was the Grand Ole Opry (a.k.a. country music night). I, for one, was impressed by the talent; there seems to be only one genuine country boy (Michael Sarver) amongst our contenders and almost all of them pulled off their own versions of their songs. Check it out!

THE TOP 11

Michael Sarver
Ain't Going Down 'Til the Sun Comes Up by Garth Brooks

This song was a crowd-pleaser and definitely a good one to start the show off with. I would say that Paula was easily impressed with the amount of words, but heck, even I was impressed! Michael is a country boy for sure and showed it off tonight. I thought he did a pretty good job, but for lack of bad singers tonight, he is one of my alternate picks.

Allison Iraheta
Blame It On Your Heart by
Patty Loveless
Allison has got that raspy rock voice, yet pulled off this song. As Randy put it, her performance was DOPE and I agree. She put a rock spin on it just by having that raspy voice. This song was a good choice for her; ain't no way she's leaving tomorrow.

Kris Allen
Make You Feel My Love by Garth Brooks

This was my second favorite of the night. Kris has got such a gorgeous voice; it's so smooth. I also love that he can sing without his guitar (remember Brooke White's odd dance movements without her instruments). It was such a mellow rendition and I loved it!

Lil Rounds
Independance Day by Martina McBride

Oh Lil...she has such tremendous talent and yet she chose this song, which only made me think that Carrie Underwood did it so much better during country week on Season 4. This was just not a good song for her and it might hurt her chances to continue on, considering all of the good performances tonight. She is my 2nd choice for my bottom 3.

Adam Lambert
Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash

I'll be honest; I hated Chris Daughtry's rendition of this song, so I immediately assumed I'd hate Adam's as well. PSHAH! It was an interesting take, but MAN does Adam have PIPES! It was theatrical, smooth...he could win this competition.

Scott MacIntyre
Wild Angels by Martina McBride

I wasn't sure about this one; it was so blah. Nothing impressed me at all. Unfortunately, I don't think Scott is going to last much longer. He is my #1 choice for my bottom 3. And will somebody please cut his hair?

Alexis Grace
Jolene by Dolly Parton

I thought her bluesy style was great, but out of all the other performances, it just didn't stand out tonight. She has such a beautiful voice and I thought this song was true to her talent. So, she's my 3rd choice for my bottom 3.

Danny Gokey
Jesus Take the Wheel by Carrie Underwood

Can this guy be any better? I seriously got goosebumps when he went into the chorus and it just went up and up from there. Oh, that voice! This was a good song choice for him (and almost got me crying when I thought of how he's a widow at such a young age). Can't wait to see him in the Top 3!

Anoop Desai
You're Always On My Mind by Brenda Lee/Willie Nelson

I'm so glad that Anoop picked a song that showcased his talent. This song was perfect for him and he did such a good job singing it. He definitely has a range and put it to use. But unless he steps it up a notch, he may not last too much longer.

Megan Corkrey
I Go Walking After Midnight by Patsy Cline

Sigh. She's got the look, I loved her dress, the judges loved her...but I just don't DIG her voice. She's too awkward sounding for me. Something about the way she enunciates and squeaks. She'll stick around because she's good-looking, but no matter what, she is on my alternate list.

Matt Giraud
So Small by Carrie Underwood

Wowee! I love Matt's voice! I felt like I was at a Matt Giraud concert it was that good. He was a good song to end with. I think we'll be seeing Matt for a while.

Just a comment on my part: Can Paula complete a sentence without pausing in the middle of it? Hmm. Tough one.

BOTTOM 3
Lil Rounds
Scott MacIntyre
Alexis Grace

ALTERNATES
Michael Sarver
Megan Corkrey

Comments? Agree? Disagree?

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

2 comments:

  1. My bottom 3 are Michael, Scott and Anoop.
    My top 3 are Allison, Adam and Danny.
    My favorite is Megan, but hey, I'm a guy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue says. . .
    The red headed girl out
    Micheal guy
    maybe the blind guy

    ReplyDelete