Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Gimme Mo...Town

This week's theme was Motown, with Smokey Robinson as the mentor. I've always liked Smokey Robinson, so this was good. Motown usually has a good turnout since there are so many good songs to choose from...unless you're not an R&B type of gal/guy (ahem, Scott).

Let's break it down:


The TOP 10

Matt Giraud: "Let's Get it On" by Marvin Gaye

Oh MAN, does Matt have a sweet voice or what? I loved his beginning, starting on the piano all sleek and then jumping up and dancing. He rocked as a first performance (which doesn't happen all that often)! Smooth vocals, very Justin Timberlake-esque. This guy ain't going anywhere.


Kris Allen: "How Sweet it is to Be Loved By You" by Marvin Gaye (James Taylor)

I love Kris's style; this was so laid back. But to be honest, it wasn't one of my favorites. And I didn't dig the last note either; it sounded like he was shouting the word "you". He is one of my alternate picks for the night.


Scott MacIntyre: "You Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes

Oh yikes. Need I say anything else? Scott, it's not because you're blind, but because your style isn't right for this show. He's my #2 pick for my bottom 3.


Megan Corkrey: "For Once in My Life" by Stevie Wonder

Anyone remember this phrase: Gag me with a wooden spoon? That's exactly how I felt about this performance. As anyone near and dear to my heart knows, I can't stand this chick. Yah, so she's got a unique voice. So what. She sucks. Sorry Mom, I know you hate that word, but I can't think of anything else that describes how I feel about Megan. You're right, I have no Utah pride. This was a HORRIBLE song choice for her and she has got to go or else she's turning into this season's Sanjaya. Go home, Megan; please, go home. She's obviously my #1 pick for my bottom 3, although with my luck, all the guys that thinks she is hot will vote her to stay. Sigh.


Anoop Desai: "Ooh, Baby, Baby" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

Anoop's got soul, but this was not a stand-out performance for me. He's got pipes, why doesn't he use them? Come on, Anoop! He's my other alternate choice for the night.


Michael Sarver: "Ain't to Proud to Beg" by the Temptations

That was torture. He's not going to make it much farther. He likes the fun songs which is fine; I like the fun songs too. But he's not a soul singer and I think he might have been better off with a slower song. He's my #3 choice for my bottom 3.


Lil Rounds: "Heat Wave" by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas

Nothing fantastic, but good vocals. No offense to R&B fans, but she sounds just like any other R&B singer. She really doesn't make me think "Wow, she's going to go far." I can't tell the difference between her and any other R&B singer out there. So anyways, yah it was good.


Adam Lambert: "The Tracks of My Tears" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

I'm torn; I loved his tender style of this song, I loved that you can see his face and that he looked like a normal guy, he's got a great range...buuuuuut, it just wasn't my favorite of the night. Sure, he pulled a 180 on us and showed us that he can do slow and tender too, but I like my "show-stopper Adam" better than my "wooingly-tender Adam". Still a contender for the Top 3, no doubt. I think he has a really good chance of winning.


Danny Gokey: "Get Ready" by the Temptations

Oh Danny...this was good, but he's starting to remind me of Melinda Doolittle from Season 6: he hits it every time and now it's starting to get a little mundane because he's always so good. Great vocals as usual.


Allison Iraheta: "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" by the Temptations

Okay, this was my favorite performance of the night. Where was this Allison the last two weeks? She kept getting complimented and I'm thinking, "What makes her so special? Nothing she has sung makes me feel otherwise". UNTIL TONIGHT...this was the perfect song for her and she has a range! I didn't think she did, but she does. And she's 16, ladies and gentlemen! Way to bring it home, Alli.


BOTTOM 3
Megan Corkrey

Scott MacIntyre

Michael Sarver

ALTERNATES

Anoop Desai

Kris Allen


Comments? Agree? Disagree?

And does anyone else think this picture of Scott is funny?

And someone please CUT HIS HAIR!!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with so much of what you said here. My personal bottom three (who I WANT to go) are Michael, then Megan, then (don't hate me) Danny, followed VERY closely by Scott. I feel like we are seeing all we are going to see of Danny. Surprise me with something, guy. But yeah, Scott,... yikes guy.... I'm just waiting for him to impress SOMEONE before he goes home, so he has a chance at a career (probably in Christian Music).

    Who do I think will go though? Michael. Megan and Scott right behind him.

    I love Alison. I think she's cute, and totally weird, which is fun. And I think Adam is fun to watch, but he really annoys me with his dramatics.

    ReplyDelete