Wednesday, February 25, 2009

When Does the Real Competition Start?

Okay, I love the fact that now it's America's time to vote, but I also hate it when they're whittling it down to the Top 12 because you're still getting the "why are they on here" vibe from some of the contestants.

Tonight's show was better than last week's, but still, not fantastic. It was really hard to even pick three, much less an alternate, in my opinion. Oh well. Let's break it down:

Jasmine Murray, 17- "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles
Not a great performance. I like "Love Song", but it lacks a performing quality to it. It's a pleasant song to hear on the radio, but not one I would choose to sing in front of millions to help keep me on the show. She's got a pretty voice, but this song didn't showcase her.

Matt Giraud, 23- "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay
Why a Coldplay song on American Idol? Again, pleasant to hear on the radio, maybe even cooler to see Coldplay perform it, but not one I would sing on national television. I don't think he did that great of a job. Just not a song for him.

Jeanine Vailes, 27- "This Love" by Maroon 5
Weird song choice...I feel like I keep repeating myself. When are these people going to realize that just because you like the song, doesn't mean that A) you sound good singing it and B) it's a song that you would sing in a competition. She did a horrible job with this song. She was off-key...like (and I sound like Simon) horrible karaoke.

Nick Mitchell, a.k.a. Norman Gentle (or however it's spelled), 27- "And I Am Telling You" by Jenifer Holiday
SERIOUSLY? Should I even be commenting on this? Why bring an alter ego to the stage? And why is he singing this song? Maybe a comedy show would be more suited for Mr. Gentle...

Allison Iraheta, 16- "Alone" by Heart
16 years old, people! 16! Did I sound like this at 16? Okay, invalid question!! Anyways, Wow! She blew me away! Great vocals...Heart is hard to sing and she nailed the song. She was my #2 pick for the night!

Kris Allen, 23- "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson
Not another MJ song! I like this song a lot, but really? Anyhow, he actually did a good job on this song and has a really nice voice. He's my alternate pick for the night.

Megan Corkrey, 22- "Put Your Records On" by Corinne Bailey Rae
This performance was interesting for me. I liked it a lot; her phrasing was unique, but she sounded pitchy at times. I think she did alright.

Matt Breitzke, 27- "If You Could Only See" by Tonic
This song totally reminds me of high school. Anyways, I thought he did a pretty good job, nice vocals. Sure, it's not a song that takes risks, but he sounded good to me. He's my #3 pick of the night.

Jesse Langseth, 25- "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes
She has almost a bluesy voice, but definitely a good song for her. She's not one of the more commercialized contestants this season, so I don't think she'll be in the Top 12, but who knows...maybe she'll make it through the Wildcard Round.

Kai Kalama, 26- "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" by Jimmy Ruffin
Ooh, so smooth of a voice, but I think he played it safe this week. This is not a hard song to sing. The ending wasn't very good, kind of shaky.

Mishavonna Henson, 18- "Drops of Jupiter" by Train
I think this was the wrong song for her; I think her voice would be better suited for some Lauryn Hill. It just didn't work, but I like the timbre of her voice.

Adam Lambert, 26- "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones
What a range! What a voice! Definitely the best of the night. Honestly, a little over the top, but he's destined to be in the Top 12, what with his uniqueness and all. He was my #1 pick of the night.

My Picks:
Adam Lambert
Allison Iraheta
Matt Breitzke

Alternate Pick:
Kris Allen

Comments? Agree? Disagree?
Make sure you vote on the sidebar!

No comments:

Post a Comment