Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Let The Eliminations Begin...

Tonight, the first group of 12 sang their hearts out for 3 spots in the Top 12. And let me say that there were so many horrible performances, it was easy for me to pick them out.

Jackie Tohn, 28- A Little Less Conversation by Elvis Presley
Seriously, you wear spandex on national tv? Poor Jackie. Poor outfit choice and seriously poor song choice. It was a horrible performance; this song was not for her. She sounded like she was shouting for some of it. Two thumbs down.

Ricky Braddy, 26- A Song For You by Leon Russell
If you're asking who, then you're right...I don't remember this guy either. Um, he has a nice voice and good control, but I think based on popularity, he may not make it through to the Top 12. It was a good song choice for him, in my opinion.

Alexis Grace, 21- Never Loved a Man by Aretha Franklin
Aretha songs are hard, but Alexis seemed to pull of a not-so-strong version of it. Personally, it wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't horrible either. The judges loved it, she has cool pink hair and she's cute, so she may make it through. I've liked her from the beginning for sure. She's my #2 pick of the night.

Brent Keith, 29- Hicktown by Jason Aldean
Nice country tune to croon to, but it wasn't remarkable. With that said, again based on popularity, he may not make it through. But the country fans out there may pull through.

Stevie Wright, 17- You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift
Traaaaain wreck...total train wreck. Her low vocals were awful, she sounded nervous...what happened? She's got a snowball's chance of making it through.

Anoop Desai, 22- Angel of Mine by Monica
Odd choice, but I liked it a lot. Very smooth vocals and a good delivery. I thought it was a kind of safe song, but you're going to hear a lot of those in the next few weeks. His voice totally doesn't match his body, but it worked. He is my #3 choice of the night.

Casey Carlson, 20- Every Little Thing She Does is Magic by the Police
Horrible, awful, ginormous mistake...need I go on? She sounded totally nervous, facial expressions were silly...bad, bad song choice. And does she look too made up to be 20? I think so. Did anyone think of The Office episode when Phyllis gets married and Karen sings this song during her reception???

Michael Sarver, 27- I Don't Wanna Be by Gavin DeGraw
I love, love, LOVE this song and I thought his delivery was pretty good. He's a very likeable guy, good looking...I wonder how he would do with country. He is my alternative pick for the night.

Anne Marie Boskovich, 22- Natural Woman by Aretha Franklin
I didn't think she had the chops to pull of this song. Aretha is hard. It was okay, but really, too big of a song for her voice.

Stephen Fowler, 26- Rock With You by Michael Jackson
This is one of my favorite MJ songs and I just don't think Stephen pulled it out of the hat. It was kind of corny, but at least he was energetic. Very forgettable, to quote Mr. Cowell.

Tatiana Del Toro, 24- Saving All My Love for You by Whitney Houston
DQ all the way. She was weird tonight. She can actually sing, which is surprising, but was she good enough to go through? Based on her DQness, I hope not. But hey, there's always someone up for some drama, right? Not a bad performance.

Danny Gokey, 28- Hero by Mariah Carey
Not a song I would have chosen for him, but he pulled it off. And with me thinking of how he just lost his wife last year, almost made me cry. Definitely my favorite of the night...#1 pick of the night for sure. I knew he was destined for the Top 12 and I will be absolutely shocked if he doesn't go through.

The last performance by Danny was special because...Paula did her special clap. Oh Lord. And to anyone that was watching, "sold-out arenas", hyphen or no hyphen, is THREE words, not two.

My Picks:
Danny Gokey
Alexis Grace
Anoop Desai

Alternative Pick:
Michael Sarver

Comments? Agree? Disagree?


2 comments:

  1. A PLACE I CAN GO TO TALK IDOL!!! Hooray!!!

    Okay, I love Anoop, and I have no idea why, but I will miss him if he doesn't get through. However, I like Ricky just a little bit more. I also kind of love Jackie Tohn, but I know she doesn't have a chance. Her voice isn't great or anything, but she has a funny personality. I cracked up when she talked about singing, "And you And you." I don't get Danny yet. He's okay. Michael Sarver will totally get though on the Wild Card. I have no doubt. And is it horrible that I kind of want Tatiana to stick around? I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Renee...it is absolutely horrible of you to want Tatiana to stick around! :) Just kidding...kind of!

    ReplyDelete